Saturday, December 15, 2018

Where have I seen that quilt before? (8)


Cross Currents Study #3, 1995, by Andrea Balosky
The French expression "deja vu" translates to "already seen" and is meant to express the uncanny feeling of recollection. Sometimes people look at the quilts in my collection and think, "Deja vu!" Chances are, they have already seen the quilts...but where? 

A few years ago I discovered the work of Andrea Balosky. She was very active during the 1990s in the Sisters, Oregon area, and was part of a small quilting group called the Pine Needlers in nearby Camp Sherman. 



Andrea was a rising star in the quilt world. She published a book, "Transitions, Unlocking the Creative Quilter Within" in 1996. This quilt, "Cross Currents Study #3" was on the cover. The quilt and two others from the book are part of my collection.

"Jerry's Garden" 1995, by Andrea Balosky
Cross Currents Study #2, 1994, by Andrea Balosky
Today Andrea lives far away in the Himalayas and rarely makes quilts, but her work continues to be influential. It is well worth discovering, and rediscovering!

The best part about having a quilt collection is sharing the quilts, even if it seems like oversharing. People worry about oversharing in 2018. It's a thing. I never worry about it with old quilts. I want everyone to see them, even if some folks saw them before. The quilts may be old, but it never gets old looking at them.

4 comments:

  1. I have had Andrea's book on my Amazon wish list for years. How wonderful that you have the cover quilt in your collection. And how interesting that she lives in the Himalayas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen her quilts until now. Just stunning. Thanks for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Thank you for showing Andrea Bolosky's quilts again. I never tire of looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed this blog post but was so excited to see Andrea's quilt. Her book is my all time favorite quilt book. It is so inspirational. I heard her speak one time and always remember her saying, "Life is too short to make other people's quilts".

    ReplyDelete