Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Obsession du jour - "Which quilt is your favorite?"

People ask me this question all the time. "Which quilt is your favorite?" It's a tough question.


More than 20 years ago, Shelly Zegart published her book, "American Quilt Collections, Antique Quilt Masterpieces" -- a book highlighting many of the premiere collections and collectors of great, antique quilts. I received a copy from Shelly in 2001. It was the first quilt book in my library, and it included one quilt for each entry, accompanied by written information about the quilt and the collection.


The book got me thinking. What would it be like to be a quilt collector? At the time, I only had two or three quilts and did not think of myself as a collector, but my first quilt was definitely a masterpiece.


Over the years, there were all kinds of quilts from various time periods. Becoming enthralled with new discoveries was practically an everyday event.


Each quilt led down a rabbit hole of historical information. One day I could be researching pictorial hexagon quilts or ships in the Spanish American War, the next day I could be learning about the early wool mills of Rhode Island or Queen Lili'uokalani of Hawaii.


So, I do not know which quilt is my favorite. It changes daily, each day is a new day and each quilt is the obsession du jour.


A lot of my obsessions du jour are posted here, on my blog, or on Facebook. Stay tuned for more great antique and vintage quilts.


No comments:

Post a Comment