Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Nifty!


As some people know, I like to refer to myself as a Quilt Magnet. There's a good reason for that. Here's one. A couple weeks ago I received an e-mail from LeeAnn of Nifty Quilts. She was cleaning out a closet, and wanted to know if I would be interested in a quilt she'd found at Goodwill about a year ago. She wanted to give it to me. How could I say no?


The quilt arrived yesterday, and it's sensational! I took a photo of it right away and sent it to LeeAnn as a gesture of thanks. The quilt was made in the first half of the 20th century. My feeling is it's from the 1920 to 1940 period.


It is tied, approximately 78" x 80" and features a square center medallion made of wedges radiating from a circular center, surrounded by 12 large strip pieced blocks. The center medallion could be called a "Thrifty Wife" pattern among other names, and the border around the medallion could be called a large Rail Fence design.


The blocks are all framed with a narrow sashing, and there is a narrow outer border in green. A wonderful selection of fabrics. There are a few fabrics that didn't hold up as well as the others, and they could be repaired, but you could hang this quilt on the wall as-is and heads would turn. Thank you, LeeAnn!!

8 comments:

  1. It is a wonderful quilt. She is an angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, I'm so glad you have it. Because of you, many quilt makers will get to see it and be inspired. You collectors are so important. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt obviously caught LeeAnn's eye, but it can't be in better hands than in a collector's ones! I don't know if my sentence makes sense in English... Anyway I am inspired by this happy quilt :-)
    Katell, France

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog and that you share your amazing quilt collection with us. what an outstanding quilt - love the tying and the medallion feel to it. thanks to LeeAnn - a fantastic quilt artist in her own right - for donating the quilt so we could all see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great addition to your collection, which I have never seen in person but hope to someday. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful quilt! She finds the most incredible things thrifting:)

    ReplyDelete