Thursday, February 19, 2015

Modern Materials: Quilts of the 1970s Special Exhibit at QuiltCon


Great day at QuiltCon in Austin, Texas! I got in a little ahead of the crowd before opening to see the 1970s quilts, and Proud Papa!! When I saw them, I let out an audible gasp that only I heard, but it really took my breath away. It is the first time I have seen these quilts up, on display, and they're right at the entrance to the exhibit hall.  

 There are 20 quilts in the exhibit, which is called "Modern Materials, Quilts of the 1970s" and they show beautifully-- much better than I anticipated.





Janis Pearson of Gresham, Oregon made the Stars quilt will all the wonderful calicoes, and I'm excited she will be here to see her quilt on display.








I hope everyone who comes to see the who will enjoy the quilts. They're a lot of fun, and were originally made by everyday people as domestic objects, but they are really works of art.



Deborah Ursell from San Antonio sold me the wonderful quilt with the map of the continental United States, but we hadn't met before. She was here today, and we had a wonderful visit and some great Texas BBQ. Tomorrow: tour of the special exhibits first thing in the morning, followed by a lecture about the 1970s quilts, and another lecture later in the day, called "Masterpiece Theatre". Ready to hit the ball out of the park!

8 comments:

  1. Great photos of the quilts, thanks for sharing them with us. Quilt Con is lucky to have such an exhibit and with programs as well. Enjoy the time with like minded folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow so glad you posted these pictures .great show-thanks for your blog-its a never ending delight

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the photos--except you made me remember my 1970's UFO still in the cupboard, calico and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear comments on these quilts! Fun exhibit for sure. Sounds like you're having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an exciting exhibit. I wish I could be there to see it. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These were my favorite quilts at QuiltCon! I love the vintage fabrics and everything about them. Wish I had caught your lecture, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful showing! Would love to have seen them in person and hear your lecture. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful quilts! Love the 70's vibe. :)

    ReplyDelete