Tuesday, June 4, 2013

documenting quilts


Big project! Documenting quilts. I've got about 250 to 300 quilts at this time, and the first task is to document the New York Beauties because they will soon go to San Jose for my exhibit at the San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles.


Documenting a quilt doesn't have to be too complicated. You need to fill out forms with history and physical description - involves a bit of measuring - and you need pictures. I'm lucky, because I have most of the pictures already. For most people, that's the hard part. For me, it's the fun part.
“Great Cities²” 2000-2010 by Christine Wrobel
Once I have more quilts documented, it will be time to start the process of getting them on to the Quilt Index, where they will then be available for researchers and anyone else who has an interest in quilts. The Quilt Index is a large database of quilts from statewide documentation projects, public and private collections. If you haven't seen the Quilt Index, it's definitely worth bookmarking. Check it out - click here!

1 comment:

  1. invite a few friends over that are interesting in learning more about quilt history to help. I had the opportunity to do this with a quilt history mentor a few years ago and it was an incredible learning experience for me
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete